That’s the way I remember it
Mom and dad woke up early to prepare for their day ahead
Long ago hard work was the only way immigrants managed to bring home the bread
In the morning they hugged me so I would get out of bed
Before I attended school they wanted to make sure I was properly fed
Dad would drop me off in his new Chevy Nova
The Camaro later in life made me feel just like Casanova
My lunch consisted of crusty white bread and tasty salami
Red peppers and eggplant completed the gourmet tsunami
Afternoon recess provided the chance to play with whatever ball we could find
Rubber orbs flying about everywhere would have made a hooker go blind
When the 3:30 bell rang, school was done for the day
My friends and I walked home with very little to say
We each waved good-bye, as one-by-one we left the pack
Our books were quite heavy because there was no such thing as a dependable knapsack
In through the door and grandmother would give me a hug
Grandpa spent all day reading the bible, but still found time for a gentle tug
I then washed my hands and got ready to cook
Yep, grandma and I would have dinner prepared for everyone because that’s what it took
Supper was great with a glass of ginger ale and some added home-made wine
Then off to play soccer with the friends I had earlier left behind
After much fun, yes we went a little berserk
When we arrived through the door, the eyes didn’t seem to have much strength to complete the daily home work
A little persuasion by mom made sure it was complete
I just wished her convincing shoes would have accommodated much smaller feet
Espresso and milk with a box of cookies would sum up the day
A walk upstairs to bed, undress and then once again I began to pray
That’s the way I remember it, at this point in time
Who would have thought before prayers, I would have learned how to rhyme.
Thank you,
Joseph Pede
No comments:
Post a Comment