Thursday, August 4, 2022

i had

i had

I had food in abundance 

now i have succumb to hunger

I had water to soothe my thirst

now the water is tainted and bitter

I had a roof above my head

now I seek shelter amongst the homeless

I had my God who provided all

now I have forsaken Him


I had flesh that one day would turn to dust

now my flesh can no longer find the bone

I had eyes that could see in all directions

now the lies project a nightmare

I had a mind that was comforted by a catharsis of thought

now I wallow in endlessness confusion

I had a soul that was conjoined to a greater being

now my spirit is lost and broken


what i had can no longer be

it was a simple way of life

the complexity of the day was always comforted by the night

those I loved, loved me in return

my freedom never wore a ball and chain

my thoughts were never lobotomized by legislation

when I awoke the day had many possibilities

now the morn seeks to destroy me


Thank you,

Joseph Pede

No comments: