Monday, February 27, 2023

the rock and the cross were gone

the rock and the cross were gone

I went to a place where the soul seeks refuge

where a heart beats to a different drummer

there, there were 108 people

praying as their tired fingers passed through the rosary beads 

Aquinas and Beckett were kneeling in contemplation

mystic and martyr could do no more

the Apostle Thomas was not among them

time had cemented their words and their wounds

and for Thomas his doubt

history had done for them all that it could do

then I took a walk up 18th avenue

a tall shadow etched in stone reminded me of Tesla

he asked if humankind had made it

I remarked that humankind had reverse engineered itself

his chuckle sounded like an electric surge

then I made a right turn on 23rd street

the mystical energy of the night encapsulated me

it looked like a never-ending desert

Satan greeted me with forty silver coins

an earthly king was engraved on one side

a lost cause on the other

he asked if i was seeking pleasure or delight

I replied, neither

he followed me as i walked along, asking where I was going

I replied, to Golgatha and 33rd street

there I have a friend in need, and I need Him more than He knows

he continued to follow, to see if I was true

he made an about face when Mother Mary took my hand

we walked for what seemed forever

we stopped and then I looked up

the rock and the cross were gone

i guess I'll have to wait another night for my friend


thank you,

joseph pede

No comments: