Hell’s Angels in Heaven?
“God shows us the path; the Devil shows us the possibilities.”
― The New Land
“God shows us the path; the Devil shows us the possibilities.”
― The New Land
The automotive industry gave me an opportunity to witness many of life’s anomalies. Other than vehicles, the industry allowed me to see another side of the political spectrum, the good and bad sides of policing, the enigmatic role of Masonic fraternities, and a reasonable perspective as to why individuals choose to become members of organized crime groups. Quite frankly, I saw no difference in any of them. Some of you might take offence to that statement but my experiences have shown that power corrupts, that shadowy figures who whisper in silence can do great harm, and that every power structure requires an army of sorts (they all have armies).
This past week a young man who was a member of the Hell’s Angel’s was murdered. His name was Michael Deabaitua-Schulde. His now emotionally perplexed dad works with my wife. While my wife and her colleagues encountered Michael at the father's place of business, I never had. My wife and I went to Michael’s funeral viewing this past Wednesday night. Michael was quite a handsome young man. On the left of the visiting room sat his immediate family and friends, on the right stood his family of Angels and Michael’s unoccupied motorcycle. In the row of empty seats which occupied the centre of the visiting room sat his alone and lonely wife. The room was filled with photographs of Michael, his wife and two children.
I’m not ashamed to say that I have known a varied group of individuals in my life and they also include members of the Hell’s Angels. H.A. members occupy senior management roles in the automotive sector and work in many places you would never contemplate. I call a number of them my acquaintances because they are incredibly decent workers, husbands, fathers and family men. I could say no less of them. If an alternate side of their lives exists it is none of my business.
You might think it odd that a former chair of the Ontario Municipal Board would point blank tell me that a long tenured Toronto councillor was in fact a corrupt thief, or that a federally appointed judge would tell me that corruption and money flowed like wine in the Federal Ministry of Immigration, or how an MPP who became an MP attempted to silence my views on government corruption. Would you appreciate a homicide detective following you around work locations for not accepting a fraternal membership, or sitting at a Knights of Malta dinner with an inebriated former prime minister, while listening to guests at that same dinner bash others with factual dirt? In summary, the top is no different than the perceived bottom. The examples are too numerable.
You might think it odd that a former chair of the Ontario Municipal Board would point blank tell me that a long tenured Toronto councillor was in fact a corrupt thief, or that a federally appointed judge would tell me that corruption and money flowed like wine in the Federal Ministry of Immigration, or how an MPP who became an MP attempted to silence my views on government corruption. Would you appreciate a homicide detective following you around work locations for not accepting a fraternal membership, or sitting at a Knights of Malta dinner with an inebriated former prime minister, while listening to guests at that same dinner bash others with factual dirt? In summary, the top is no different than the perceived bottom. The examples are too numerable.
Many years ago I attended a funeral in Streetsville for the father of one of my Hell's Angels acquaintances. He too belonged to a biker gang. He died of natural causes. That was my first experience with bikers, and it made me aware of the fact that the biker culture can be generational.
At a point in time in my career, a friend, who was connected to the automotive industry and bikers, asked if I would set up a boutique leasing division for Hell's Angels members. After all they do buy motorcycles. After discussing the rules of engagement I agreed. During that time I had the opportunity to meet a number Hell's Angels members and one very high ranking individual. I can describe most of the individuals I met as shy, extremely well built, they had very little to say, and in some cases these individuals came from very "wealthy" backgrounds. In my view, there was one common denominator - they considered themselves society’s outsiders and the H.A. provided a home where they could be themselves. I’m not naive enough to think that it was all a bed of roses. A component of fear did exist when encountering some of those individuals.
The Hell's Angels try not to do anything halfway, and anyone who deals in extremes is bound to cause trouble, whether he means to or not. This, along with a belief in total retaliation for any offense or insult, is what makes the Hell's Angels unmanageable for the police and morbidly fascinating to the general public.
- Hunter S. Thompson
I remember this same friend saying over and over again that he thought it was crazy that H.A. members would openly wear a patch on their back disclosing who and what they were part of. I can only attribute that disclosure to a demonstrable pride, and perhaps a nonchalant fearlessness.
“In the terms of our Great Society the Hell's Angels and their ilk are losers -- dropouts, failures and malcontents. They are rejects looking for a way to get even with a world in which they are only a problem.
The Hell's Angels are not visionaries, but diehards, and if they are the forerunners or the vanguard of anything it is not the "moral revolution" in vogue on college campuses, but a fast-growing legion of young unemployables whose untapped energy will inevitably find the same kind of destructive outlet that "outlaws" like the Hell's Angels have been finding for years.”
― Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga
The Hell's Angels try not to do anything halfway, and anyone who deals in extremes is bound to cause trouble, whether he means to or not. This, along with a belief in total retaliation for any offense or insult, is what makes the Hell's Angels unmanageable for the police and morbidly fascinating to the general public.
- Hunter S. Thompson
I remember this same friend saying over and over again that he thought it was crazy that H.A. members would openly wear a patch on their back disclosing who and what they were part of. I can only attribute that disclosure to a demonstrable pride, and perhaps a nonchalant fearlessness.
“In the terms of our Great Society the Hell's Angels and their ilk are losers -- dropouts, failures and malcontents. They are rejects looking for a way to get even with a world in which they are only a problem.
The Hell's Angels are not visionaries, but diehards, and if they are the forerunners or the vanguard of anything it is not the "moral revolution" in vogue on college campuses, but a fast-growing legion of young unemployables whose untapped energy will inevitably find the same kind of destructive outlet that "outlaws" like the Hell's Angels have been finding for years.”
― Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga
When news went out about our boutique service, members of other bike gangs visited the dealership. I remember Frank Lenti specifically. Mr. Lenti was a jovial fun loving guy and a member of an opposing bike gang. He ultimately became a great customer. He bought an SUV and Harley on his first visit. To learn later that he was involved in a fatal shooting gave me some pause. I recently read an article of his release from prison in the Toronto Star. Mr. Lenti has led quite a life - he also killed a Hell’s Angel member. The article is attached.
On another occasion a sales manager came to my office and asked if I would like meet with his cousin, who had just arrived from Italy. I said of course, why not. The three of us sat in my office joking around, while he explained that his wife and kids lived in a bungalow not far from us. After a pleasant conversation we exchanged goodbyes. The next day his photo was plastered on the front page of all the major newspapers. That same man was in fact the global leader of the Mafia. You would never have known, nor would you think it possible. The mistake we make is to think that individuals who hold high corporate and political positions could be so different, they are not. Wars, genocide, economic collapse, famine and disease are well orchestrated crimes committed by those in high places. Even police officer suicide may stem from an unwelcome and well known pressure.
I will conclude by recounting an experience I had with a woman who insisted that she must meet with me. The reason was never disclosed but I grew weary of the phone calls. When she entered my office my jaw dropped. Many Asian women are quite beautiful but this lady surpassed the top end of the Richter Scale. Wow! Within minutes a man knocked on my door. It was her controller, a Masonic recruiter. He did nothing but praise my corporate achievements and stated that they had been watching me for years. I knew that, and I know they still do. I listened to him, looked at her and then he gave me his card with a passcode to a protected website. I wished them a good day and tore the card in four when they departed. Lucifer is not my god.
I will conclude by recounting an experience I had with a woman who insisted that she must meet with me. The reason was never disclosed but I grew weary of the phone calls. When she entered my office my jaw dropped. Many Asian women are quite beautiful but this lady surpassed the top end of the Richter Scale. Wow! Within minutes a man knocked on my door. It was her controller, a Masonic recruiter. He did nothing but praise my corporate achievements and stated that they had been watching me for years. I knew that, and I know they still do. I listened to him, looked at her and then he gave me his card with a passcode to a protected website. I wished them a good day and tore the card in four when they departed. Lucifer is not my god.
Heaven’s gates are open to everyone, even for those who profess to be from the other side. My condolences to Michael’s family and his Hell’s Angels brothers. Someday humanity will strive to ride the landscape in peace and a true brotherhood, but I simply do not see that day in our future.
Thank you,
Joseph Pede
Joseph Pede
No comments:
Post a Comment