Sunday, October 14, 2018

Requiem for Yesterday


Requiem for Yesterday

The future and all its grandeur is all around us
Yesterday appears so superfluous
Science has presented an altered way of life
A world filled with never-ending possibilities and diminishing strife

Before I recite a requiem for yesterday
Let us remember what now seems so far away
Life appeared so much simpler and less complex
The mind and senses daily life did not perplex

The transistor radio I once held in my open hand
Today my head secures a nanotechnology strand
The finger-fancy typewriter made errors an easy task
Today I can speak the words and they flow as if by a magical flask

The Hippie sought a peaceful brotherhood
Today propaganda imprisons us into an eternal childhood
The bible once taught us how to pray
Today our God(s) have gone astray

The classics remain to remind us of how cruel life can be
The lies of war have never set us free
Poverty and hunger arranged by Man’s natural ability
The reality drowned by an ocean of imperceptibility

Talking to your fellow man was once so very natural
Today the twelve inch screen has made interaction supernatural
The reluctant poet offered the reader a bit of his soul
Today we seek the event horizon atop the astronomical black hole

So let us bid a farewell to our mundane yesterday
For today we sit atop curiosity’s stairway
But my dear yesterday, I feel I will see you once again
If not in heaven, then in the remains of what God will once again condemn

Thank you,
Joseph Pede

No comments: