Thursday, November 8, 2018

The Life of a Grandfather


The Life of a Grandfather

The life of a grandfather can be a joyous one
The morning starts with a pee and for the dog as well
Then his daily I.V. accompanied by his myriad of pills 
Finally a chef’s meal to address his special diet 

Next is my granddaughter’s entertaining drive to preschool
She singing over the car music at all times
The rear of the truck occupied with an assortment of dolls
Innumerable stuffed animals and rain boots fill the floor

We hold hands as we enter the side door of the church
Hang her coat then depositing the knapsack
Singing as we make our way to the classroom
I’m offered a good-bye hug when we arrive

Church employees coming and going
Yoga mats lain on the cold floor by yogis in training
Down-syndrome adults straddle the railings awaiting class
Contractors fixing the ever broken something

Activity abounds
But the church remains empty
The pews are polished and clean
But not a carcass in sight

The church doors closed with only darkness visible
I enter as often as I can to greet the silence
The pews feel humid and cool to the touch
The stained glass figures acknowledge their loneliness

I sit invisibly next to a pillar in the quiet solitude
Acknowledging the stillness and frigid air
Reflection starts with a Hail Mary and then an Our Father
To all the living and the dead I offer a supplication of peace

The occasional creek or rattle tell me I am not alone
The subway passengers down below are one step beyond
Dormant spirits content by my occasional visit
Jesus’ shadow over the pulpit acknowledges my good-bye

Thank you,
Joseph Pede

No comments: